* Aside from highly impacted industries (travel, retail, etc), the leadership candidate pool has not shifted significantly and the market remains incredibly tight for top leadership talent. The best executives in our network are still receiving several headhunter calls a day. Motivated candidates have been open to relocation.
* Diversity & inclusion hiring and initiatives are being required, prioritized, and / or emphasized.
* Our clients are more accepting of waiving location requirements and hiring remote executives.
* From a functional perspective, CFO-finance has been very active. We are conducting more CEO / GM searches than usual. Product / Engineering demand remains robust.
* Confidential searches / replacing the incumbent has been slightly higher than normal versus adding a new executive to the team.
* Most active technology-related verticals: Food & Beverage Delivery, Gaming, Cloud / Data / Cybersecurity, Fintech (Payments and Investment Management in particular), Telehealth, Supply Chain and eCommerce tied to basic necessities. EdTech and Robotics have also emerged as more active sectors.
* As in 2009, executive candidates strongly prefer companies with a strong mission and balance sheets/EBITDA, regardless of size.
* The most common reservation about going to new company is LIFO risk.
* The new Zoom-era norm, C-level hires are being made via virtual video interviewing with high quality references and stringent background checks. Some final 1:1 interviews are being conducted in-person and with socially distanced venues like parks, outdoor seating at café, and so on.
* C1’s June & July has been better than April & May. Client apprehension is the lowest since the start of the pandemic.